Profile of Editor-in-Chief
Abiodun Falodun, PhD
Professor, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Benin
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry,
Room 202, Pharm Chem Block, Third Floor
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Benin,
Benin City, 300001, Nigeria.
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Abiodun Falodun is a renowned Professor of Medicinal and Natural Product Chemistry in the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Benin, with over 22 years’ experience in research and teaching.
Professor Falodun completed his Postdoctoral research training with Professor Dr. Peter Langer, Professor Dr. Udo Kragl (Germany), Professor X Qiu SCBG, CAS China and Professor Mark Hamann (USA), after obtaining his PhD degree from the University of Benin, Nigeria.
Professor Falodun has to his credit, numerous academic honours, grants and awards including the prestigious Fulbright award (African Senior Research Scholar), recipient of the May & Baker Professional Service award in Pharmaceutical Sciences. He has contributed reasonably to the development and advancement of knowledge with over 100 scientific papers, reviews and book titled ‘Stereochemistry in Pharmacy and Medicine’, co-authored with Professor EOP Agbakwuru. He is currently the pioneer Coordinator, Center for Distance Learning, University of Benin.He also served as the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic) University of Benin and a member of the Governing Council of the University of Benin.
Professor Falodun currently serves as Editor-in-Chief for Tropical Journal of Phytochemistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences. His research group (Natural Product Research Group-NPRG) is actively involved in the bioactivity guided isolation, characterization, structure determination and optimization through synthesis of compounds from natural Product mostly of plant origin. Professor Falodun has presented research seminars and lectures at national and international scientific meetings. He has supervised numerous undergraduate and MSc and doctoral students. Professor Falodun’s strong grantsmanship accomplishments have been demonstrated by winning internal and external competitive research grants such as the Africa-US Network Centers of Excellence in Water and Environmental Science and Technology (2011 - 2015); award funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID); National Research Fund (NRF) research grant 2020 to conduct advanced research in the Identification and Development of Potential Drug from Nigerian Medicinal Plants against Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) (NRF/SETI/HSW/00796).
His group is currently working on the isolation and identification of new metabolites of natural products with activity against sars-Co-2 (Corona virus), and emerging infectious diseases.
At present, his H-index stands at 20 while the i10-index is 44, Citations 1804.
Prof. Falodun is a certified Public Leader from Harvard Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
Google Scholar citations
Awards and Professional Honours
- Postdoctoral fellow HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry 2008.
- Twas-Cas Fellowship – China 2009, Visiting scholar to South China Botanical Gardens, China.
- Visiting Scholar 2011 DFG Fellowship in Technical Chemistry University of Rostock, Germany
- DFG Fellowship. Universitat Rostock- Germany – Visiting scholar 2012
- May and Baker distinguished Professional Service Award 2007
- Member, Phytochemical Society of Europe
- WHO Reviewer, Expert Committee on Specifications for Pharmaceutical Preparations- 2010
- Fulbright Senior Scholar, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Mississippi, USA, 2013-2014.
Isolation, characterization, and biological evaluation of natural Product of higher plant origin. Discovery and development of new natural Product with activity against infectious disease, inflammatory disorders, sickle cell disease, cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
The synthesis, medicinal chemistry and optimization of natural Product with novel pharmacological activities. Use and application of conventional and state-of-the-art NMR and other spectroscopic techniques in the structure elucidation of new natural Product/metabolites.
- Anna Adamus, Katharina Peer, Iftikhar Ali, Jan Lise, Falodun, A. Marcus Frank, Guido Seitz, Nadja Engel. Berberis orthobotrys – A promising herbal anti-tumorigenic candidate for the treatment of pediatric alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2019, 229: 262-271.
- C. Ogbonna, I. Igbe, O. Erharuyi, V.O. Imieje and Falodun, A. Biological Activities of a Macrocyclic Diterpenoid Isolated from the Roots of Jatropha gossypiifolia. J. Afr. Ass. Physiol. Sci 2017, 5 (2): 111-120.
- Iftikhar Ali, Hidayat Hussain, Huma Batool, Akber Dad, Ghulam Raza, Falodun,A. Raza Ullah, Viqar Uddin Ahmad. International Journal of Phytomedicine 2017, 9 (2): http://dx.doi.org/10.5138/09750185.1898.
- Osayemwenre Erharuyi, Achyut Adhikari, Falodun, A Aimas Jabeen, Muhammad Ahmmad, Rehan Imad, M. Iqbal Choudhary. Cytotoxic, anti-inflmmatory, and leishmanicidal activities of Diterpenes isolated from the roots of Caesalpinia pulcherrima. Planta Medica 2017 , 83: 100-110.
- Kingsley Agu, Ngozi P Okolie, Nkechi Eze, John C Anioye and Falodun, A. Phytochemical analysis, Toxicity Profile and Haemomodulatory properties of Annona muricata(Soursop) Egyptian Journal of Hematology 2017, 197-211.
- Kingsley Agu, Ngozi P Okolie, Engel Najdia and Falodun, A. In vitroanticancer assessments of Annona muricata fractions and in vitro antioxidant profile of fractions and isolated acetogenin (15-acetyl guanacone). Journal of Cancer Research and Practice 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrpr.2017.12.001
- Osahon Ogbeide, Mujeeb-Ur-Rehman,. Bodunde Owolabi, Falodun, A., M. Iqbal Choudhary and Sammer Yousuf. Crystal structure and Hirshfeld surface analysis of pulcherrin J. Acta Cryst. 2017. E73, 1572–1575.
- Osayemwenre Erharuyi, Achyut Adhikari, Falodun,A., Rehan Imad, M. Iqbal Choudhary. Derivatization of Cassane diterpenoids from Caesalpinia pulcherrima (L.) Sw. and evaluation of their cytotoxic and leishmanicidal activities. Tetrahedron Letters, doi:10.1016/j.tetlet.2016.04.030.
- Sadaf Siddiqui, Osayemwenre Erharuyi, Falodun, A., M. Iqbal Choudhary and Sammer Yousuf Crystal structure of (3S*,4S*,4aS*,5R*, -6R*,6aS*,7R*,11aS*,11bR*)-5,6-bis-(benzoyloxy)-3,4a-dihydroxy-4,7,11btrimethyl-1,2,3,4,4a,5,6,6a,7,11,11a,-11b-dodecahydrophenanthro[3,2-b]-furan-4-carboxylic acid methanol monosolvate. Acta Crystallographica 2015, E71: 739-740.
- Wolf-Diethard Pfeiffer, Klaus-Dieter Ahlers, Falodun,A., Alexander Villinger and Peter Langer. Synthesis and Spectroscopic Characterization of Arylated Selenoureas. Phosphorus, Sulfur, Silicon and the Related Elements 2014, 189(3):324 - 332. DOI: 10.1080/10426507.2013.820729.
- Osayenwenre Erhayruyi, Falodun, A., and Peter Langer. Medicinal Uses, Phytochemistry and Pharmacology of Picralima nitida(Apocynaceae) in tropical diseases: A review. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine 2014, 7(1): 1 - 8.
- Osayemwenre Erharuyi, Nadja Engel-Lutz, Joy Ahomafor, Vincent Imieje, Falodun,A., Babara Nebe and Peter Langer. Anticancer activity of five Forest crops used in African folklore: Antiproliferative and Pro-apoptotic effects. Natural Product Research 2014, 1 - 6.
- Agbonlahor Okhuarobo, Joyce Ehizogie Falodun, Osayemwenre Erharuyi, Vincent Imieje, Falodun, A and Peter Langer. Harnessing the Medicinal Usefulness of Andrographis paniculata for diseases and beyond: A review of its Phytochemistry and Pharmacology. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Diseases 2014, 4(3):213 - 222.
- Falodun,A., Vincent Imeije, Osayemwenre Erharuyi, Ahomafor Joy, Peter Langer, Melissa Jacobs, Shabanna Khan, Mohammed Abaldry and Mark Hamann. Isolation of antileishmanial, Antimalarial and Antimaicrobial metabolites from Jatropha multifida. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine 2014, 4(5):374 - 378.Doi: 10.12980/APJTB.4.2014C131.
- Franziska Bendrath, Falodun,A., Zharylkasyn A, Abilov, Alexander Villinger and Peter Langer, Regioselective Synthesis of Pyrazoles and Isoxazoles with Cyclopropanated side-chain. Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry 2014, 51(3): 835-840.
- Nadja Engel Lutz, Falodun,A., Juilane Kuhn, Udo Kragl, Peter Langer and Barbara Nebe. Pro-apoptotic and anti-adhesive effect of four African Plant extracts on the breast cancer cell line MCF-7. BMC Complementary and alternative Medicine 2014, 334(14): 1-13.
- Falodun,A Vincent Imieje, Osayemwenre Erharuyi, Joy Ahomafor, Melissa R Jacob, Shabana Khan and Mark T Hamann. Evaluation of three medicinal Plant extracts against Plasmodium falciparum and selected microorganisms. African Journal of Traditional Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2014, 11(4):142-143.
- Ngozi P Okolie, Falodun, A., and Oluseyi Davids. Evaluation of the antioxidant activity of root extract of pepper fruit (Dennetia tripetala), and its potential for the inhibition of Lipid peroxidation. African Journal of Traditional Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2014, 11(3):221-227. Doi: 10.4314/ajtcam. v11i3.31.
- Abraham Ubhenin, Augustine Uwakwe, Falodun,A., N.Engel, Francis Onwuka and P. Langer. Antiproliferative and Pro-apoptotic effects of Caesalpinia bonduc extract and its fractions in estrogen – sensitive Human Breast Adenocarcinoma Cell line. Journal of Herbs, Spices and Medicinal Plants 2013, 19: 159 - 167.
- Falodun,A., Engel Nadja, Oppermann Christina, Iftikhar Ali, Villinger Alexander, Kragl Udo, Nebe Barbara and Langer Peter,. Isolation of Trimethylammoniumyl - acetate monohydrate from Cola lepidota seeds: antiproliferative activity of extracts and fractions. Journal of Herbs Spices and Medicinal Plants 2013, 19 (4): 329 - 339.
- R¨udiger Dede, A. Riahi, Mohanad Shkoor, Mirza A. Yawer, Ibrar Hussain, N. Kelzhanova, Zharylkasyn A. Abilov, Falodun,A., Helmar G¨orlse, and P. Langer. Synthesis of Functionalized Acetophenones by Formal [3+3] Cyclocondensations of 1,3-Bis(silyloxy)-1,3-butadienes with 3-Alkoxy and 3-Silyloxy-2-acetyl-2-en-1-ones. Z. Naturforsch 2013, 68b, 1021 – 1030 / DOI: 10.5560/ZNB.2013-3123.
- Franziska Bendrath, Zharylkasyn A. Abilov, Falodun,A., Alexander Villinger and Peter Langer. Regioselective Synthesis of 5-(2-Cyanoethyl)biphenyls by Formal [3+3]-Cyclocondensations of 1,3-Bis(trimethylsilyloxy)-1,3-butadienes”. Helvetica Chimica Acta 2013, 96(12):2185 – 2190.
- Iftikha Ali, Zahid Ahasan, Martin Hein, Falodun, A., Tamas Patonay, Alexander Villinger and Peter Langer. Regioselective Palladium (0)-catalyzed cross-coupling reactions of 5, 7-dichloro1, 6-napthyridine. Synthesis 2012, 44: 2255 - 2263.
- Falodun,A., Nadja Engel, Udo Kragl, Barbara Nebe and Peter Langer. Novel anticancer alkene lactone from Persea americana. Pharmaceutical Biology 2012, 1-7.
- Falodun,A., Udo Kragl, Serge-Mitherand Tengho Touem, Alexander Villinger Thomas Fahrenwaldt and Peter Langer. A Novel Anticancer Diterpenoid from Jatropha gossypifolia. Natural Products Communication 2012, 7: 1 - 2.
- Engel N, Oppermann C, Falodun, A., and Kragl U. Proliferative effects of five traditional Nigerian medicinal plant extracts on human breast and bone cancer cell lines. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 2011, 137: 1003 – 1010.
- George BO, E.Osioma and Falodun, A., Effect of Atiko (Aframium Sceptrium) and African Nutmeg (Monodora Myristica) on reduced glutathione Uric acid levels of liver marker enzymes in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Egyptian Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 2010, 28 (2): 67 – 78.
- Falodun,A., MI Qadir and M Iqbal Choudhary. Isolation and characterization of xanthine oxidase inhibitory constituents of Pyrenacantha staudtii. Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica 2009, 44(4): 390 - 394.
- Falodun, A., Omonkhelin JO and O Obasuyi. Physiochemical, Antimicrobial and Antiinflammatory evaluation of fixed oil from Boa constrictor. Acta Poloniae Pharm. Drug Research 2008, 65 (4): 477 –– 480.
- Nworgu ZAM, Falodun A and Usifoh CO. Inhibitory activity of 3 - carbomethoxylpyridine and 3 - carbobutoxypyridine on isolated rat uterus. Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutica-Drug Research 2007, 64 (2): 179 – 182.
- Irabor EEI, Falodun, A., Obasuyi O, Ofoegbu CO, Abiodun SO and Umujeyan K. Antimicrobial evaluation of the methanolic extract of Calliandria surinamensis on some pathogenic organisms. Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutical Drug Research 2007, 63 (5): 449 - 451.
Journal Papers Accepted
Imieje, VO., Zaki, AA., Metwaly,AM., Eissa, IH., Elkaeed, EB., Ali, Z., Khan, IA., and Falodun, A. Antileishmanial Derivatives of Humulene from Asteriscus hierochunticus with in silico Tubulin Inhibition Potential, Rec. Nat. Prod. 2021.
Journal Papers in Review
Imieje,VO., Zaki,AA., Metwaly,AM., Elkaeed, EB., Ali, Z., Khan, IA., Mostafa, A and Falodun, A., Comprehensive Virtual Screening of the Antiviral Potentialities of A New Humulene Glucoside from Asteriscus hierochunticus against SARS-CoV-2". Journal of Chemistry 2021.